Yaa Gyasi, Homegoing
1) Examine the two very different fates of the stepsisters, Effia and Esi, describing relevant aspects of their family backgrounds and the events that led to their traumatic experiences with the slave trade.
2) What is the relationship between their different traumatic experiences with slavery and the novel’s treatment of slavery on both sides of the Atlantic? (Suggestion: A body paragraph can be devoted to the two parts of the question.)
- The first paragraph briefly introduces the work (2-4 sentences) and culminates in an analytic thesis statement.
- Two body paragraphs (after the intro. paragraph): topic sentences, careful paragraph organization; very brief concluding paragraph (approx. 2 sentences)
- Length: about 2 pages, double spaced, Times New Roman (normally, responses do not need to exceed 3 pages)
- At least 2 direct quotations: brief, well integrated (framed), MLA citations; paraphrasing as necessary
- Works Cited (MLA format) – see an MLA guide in an English composition handbook and/or Purdue Owl
- Do not use secondary sources for portfolio responses. Drawing from or paraphrasing from Internet sources (or other secondary sources) constitutes plagiarism on the assignment.