Please respond to the three TIMELINE OF CINEMA episodes and at least one of the two following essays. Links for all of these are found in the “Week 4 Learning Resources” accordion folder in Week Four Content.
– “The Foreign Wave,” Ministry of Cinema’s A Timeline of Cinema, episode 4:
In this video, you will learn how European countries instituted protectionist policies to defend their film programs against American influence.
– “New Hollywood,” Ministry of Cinema’s A Timeline of Cinema, episode 5:
In this video, you will learn about the a period defined by the filmmakers who grew up on television and foreign cinema.
– “Contemporary Cinema,” Ministry of Cinema’s A Timeline of Cinema, episode 6:
In this video, you will learn about contemporary cinema and the impact of modern technology on it.
– “A Bright, Guilty World: Daylight Ghosts and Sunshine Noir” by J. Hoberman. Originally published in Artforum, 2007:
In this article, you will learn about the stylized, artistic film style known as sunshine noir.
– “Reconfiguring gothic mythology: The film noir-horror hybrid films of the 1980s.” by Jack Morgan (essay):
In this article, you will learn about the film noir, horror hybrid films.