After you have finished reading one of the book choices for this course I would like you to
simply write a one page response to something in the book that really spoke to you as an
educator. For example:
- What was it about this piece of literature that will change the way you relate to
students, peers, parents, or your administrator?
- How will this book help to shape the framework of your educational philosophy?
- How did this book reinforce or strengthen your commitment to become an educator?
- What really stood out in this book and changed your perspective regarding the field of
I don’t expect you to address all of these questions, just pick one and tell me how the book you
choose impacted you as a future teacher. Your response should be about one page in length.
- BOOK OPTIONS ARE LISTED BELOW…
1. Corcoran, J. & Carlson, C. (1994).The Teacher Who Couldn’t Read. Focus on the Family Publishing (out of print, but worth finding on Amazon or similar site).
2. Collins, M., & Tamarkin, C. (1990). The Marva Collins’ Way. Penguin Putman Books
3. Lemov, Doug. (2010). Teach Like a Champion. Jossey-Bass Teacher
4. Kidder, T. (1990). Among Schoolchildren. Houghton Mifflin Company
5. Edited by Pearl Rock Kane (1991). My First Year as a Teacher. New American Library
6. Ozma, Alice (2011). The Reading Promise. Grand Central Publishing