Healthcare is a unique business because the customer is not necessarily the end user of the service or the product. For example, for a hospital, the customer is also the physician, as the hospital has much to lose if a physician chooses to provide his or her services at a different hospital. Or if a customer is defined as the payer of the service or product, then the customer is also the health insurance company or third-party payer. Therefore, healthcare leaders must assess their potential markets, identify all the potential customers, and be prepared to implement strategies unique to each of the distinct customer segments.
Within their strategic agenda, leaders must assume the responsibility of building teams to carry out and integrate the various tasks that together make up healthcare delivery. The role of the healthcare leader as a team builder and manager is to determine the future strategies that blend with his or her personal inventory of talents.
Effective teamwork is essential for helping a healthcare organization achieve its objectives and meet patients’ needs. Healthcare leaders must fully understand the stages of team development and the characteristics of effective teams, and they must consider how the unique context of healthcare creates a particular demand for a productive team-based environment in the competitive marketplace.
For this Discussion, consider the principles of strategic management, including team-building skills in the healthcare environment.
This week’s assigned Presenters should post a PowerPoint presentation with a detailed notes section that contains the following:
- Incorporation and analysis of the Learning Resources from this 2-week unit, including identification of any apparent gaps in the literature
- An original research topic related to the week’s literature (the proposed research topic can be related to the general topic for the week or to gaps in the literature for the week, or it can be related to a specific reading for the week)
- Background information on the research topic, including identification of principal schools of thought, tendencies in the academic literature, or commonalities that define the academic scholarship regarding your topic
- Evaluation of the main concepts with a focus on their application to business/management practice and their impact on positive social change
- A minimum of 10 peer-reviewed, scholarly new references
Note: The presentation must be in APA format and must incorporate direct evidence of addressing the Learning Objectives from this 2-week unit. Each of the content slides must include detailed notes/paragraphs with appropriate citation of peer-reviewed, scholarly references.