Psychology can be defined as the scientific study of behavior and mental processes. This means it is a science that looks to understand the things people do such as eat, walk, or talk, as well as the personal processes we go through such as feeling, thinking, dreaming, or remembering.
There are four basic goals of psychology that are used to help understand behaviors and mental processes of individuals. The four goals are:
- Describe the different behaviors that have occurred or what is happening.
- Explain the causes of the behavior by telling why it occurred.
- Predict how someone will behave in future circumstances.
- Change a behavior by preventing unwanted outcomes or encouraging desired goals.
The scientific method allows us to pose questions, test questions, and analyze results. Through observation and research we begin to understand the world around us. Consider research you have read about or been a part of and analyze the following in one page:
- Was the Scientific method followed? How?
- What pieces were or were not part of it? (Randomization, study type, placebos, etc.)
For the second part, present a research project you would like to propose in approximately one page.
- How can it help us learn about basic principles of behavior?
- How can you use the scientific method to find and address possible problems in your research design?
This paper should be 2 pages in length and use APA formatting (cover page, paper body formatting, citations, and references: