Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
Consider the following scenario:
Michael Anderson is currently in state prison completing a 6-year custodial sanction for possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance (cocaine). Inmate Anderson will be released in 3 months from now to start his 2-year parole term.
The process of returning back to the community from custody is known as reentry. Inmates face a lot of obstacles when they return to the community after a period of custody.
Address the following in your discussion:
- What is the purpose of reentry planning?
- What are the 3 biggest challenges that inmate Anderson (and other inmates) face when returning back to the community?
- What can be done to address these 3 challenges and make it a smoother transition out of custody?
- What should the inmate expect upon his or her initial release from custody?
- What can he or she do to increase his or her chances of success upon release?