Application: O*NET Worker Characteristics
The O*NET content model provides information about work using six major domains. One of the six domains is worker characteristics, which are qualities that will influence how well an individual can perform job tasks and the capacity to gain the knowledge and skills to perform those job tasks effectively. This major domain provides a framework to analyze the important abilities, occupational interests, work values, and work styles (O*NET). Sometimes abilities are the most important factor to address in making an employment decision, but consider the consequences of employees working in an occupational environment that they cannot tolerate. Do you think they will produce their best work?
In this Application Assignment, you focus on work styles taxonomy and scales, which are defined as personal qualities that may influence job performance. Compare the qualities of a good and bad teacher that you may have had while in school by using the work styles scales to supplement your previous analysis of the middle school teacher job.
For this Application Assignment, review the media, “Employee Observation,” and your ratings of the schoolteachers in Weeks 2 and 3. Use the O*NET content model at http://www.onetcenter.org/content.htmlto rate the job in the media, and focus on the worker characteristics domain. Use the given data set from the generalized work activities in Week 3, your ability ratings from Week 3, along with your work styles ratings from this week.
O*NET. (n.d). The O*NET® content model. O*NET Resource Center. Retrieved from http://www.onetcenter.org/content.html
The Assignment (3–5 pages)
Presume you have been hired to use the data to develop an employee selection process to hire individuals for the middle school teacher position.
- Rate the middle school teacher job from Week 3 using the O*NET work styles scales in the worker characteristics domain.
- Summarize the findings of these three ratings (generalized work ratings, ability ratings, along with your work styles ratings).
- Describe the methodology used for evaluating the middle school teacher job.
- Based on the data, explain the important parts of the job that should serve as a foundation for selection.
- Summarize the findings and the relationship to your data, including your work from Weeks 2 and 3.
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.
Submit your Assignment by Day 7.