Assignment 2: Lending Institutions, Health Care, and Human Capital
the Internet to research one (1) developing nation of your choice. Your
research should include an examination of lending institutions, health
care, and human capital, as well as the material covered by the Webtext
and lectures in Weeks 6 through 9.
Write a three to four (3-4) page research paper in which you:
whether or not funding from international lending institutions like the
World Bank and the IMF are helping or hindering the social, economic,
or political development of the country that you have selected. Support
your response with examples.
with examples, at least four (4) substantive ways in which a healthy
population strengthens the economy of the country that you have
the degree to which the leadership of your chosen country has used
foreign aid to improve its health care system. Support your response
with concrete examples.
- Use at least five (5) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note:
Wikipedia, blogs, and other nonacademic websites do not qualify as
academic resources. Approval of resources is at the instructor’s
discretion. Resources must also be within the last seven (7) years.
When referencing the selected resources, please use the following format:
- Webtext Format:
- Name of the author. Name of title. Retrieved from website url.
Soomo. Understanding Development [Webtext]. Retrieved from http://www.webtexts.com/courses/9218-cathey.
- Lecture Format:
- Name of the Author. Name of the lecture [lecture type]. Retrieved from lecture url.
Strayer University. (2013). Understanding Development [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from /bbcswebdav/institution/SOC/300/1136/Week1/lecture/story.html.
- Internet Resources:
- Author’s Name. (Date of publication). Title of the resource. Retrieved from website url.
Wuestewald, Eric. (2014). Portraits of people living on a dollar a day. Retrieved from http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2014/04/living-on-a-dollar-a-day-photos-renee-byer-thomas-nazario.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with
one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA
or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover
page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Determine how human capital is used and what effect gender disparity has on these decisions.
- Determine what role health plays in developing economies.
the role that the International Monetary Fund and World Bank play in
transfers and the conditions they set to effect this funding.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in sociology of developing countries.
- Write clearly and concisely about sociology of developing countries using proper writing mechanics.