As Chapter 11 in your textbook notes, the costs for health care have risen dramatically and are expected to continue to rise. While Medicare is a public insurance program that provides coverage to almost everyone who is 65 and older, it only covers a portion of health care expenses. In fact, the authors of your textbook note that “if current trends continue, by 2030 half of those aged 65 and older will spend more than 25% of their income on medical bills and insurance premiums” (Markson & Stein, 2012).
After reading Chapter 11 in your textbook and watching “Aging America and Healthcare Reform,” please address each of the following:
- Compare and contrast the services provided to older individuals under Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B.
- Compare and contrast the health care services provided under Medicare versus Medicaid. Be sure to address how each program is funded, what they cover, who qualifies for them, and what role each plays in paying for health care of the elderly population.
- Discuss the current funding for Medicare and why there is debate regarding the program.
- What changes (if any) do you think that there will be in the Medicare program over the next 20 years?
- Do you believe that the eligibility requirements should be changed in order to receive the health services provided by Medicare? Why or why not?
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references.