EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE & APPLIED NURSING RESEARCH
Foundations of Inquiry – differentiates between quality improvement processes, evidence based practice, and research.
Literature Review and Analysis – The graduate demonstrates knowledge of the process and outcomes of conducting a literature review.
Ethics and Research – demonstrates understanding of the ethics of nursing research, particularly human subjects’ protections, informed consent, and alignment with patient and family values and preferences.
Patient Outcomes – discriminates between identified standards and practices that do not provide improvements in patient outcomes utilizing relevant sources of evidence and the application of nursing theory.
Data Collection, Analysis, and Dissemination – describes the process of data collection, analysis, and implementation of evidence that can improve clinical practice from an interprofessional perspective.
Task 2: Evidence-Based Practice
In this task, you will identify a healthcare problem and develop a PICO question that can be answered using evidence. You will identify a single intervention and then search for five research articles and two non-research articles that support that change practice.
A. Write a summary of the significance and background of a healthcare problem by doing the following:
1. Describe a healthcare problem that can be used to develop a PICO question
2. Explain the significance of the problem from part A1.
3. Describe the current healthcare practices related to the problem from part A1.
4. Discuss how the problem affects the organization and patients’ cultural background (i.e., values, health behavior, and preferences).
B. Complete a literature review by searching for a total of seven articles consisting of five research articles and two non-research articles related to the healthcare problem from part A1, and describe the search strategy you used to conduct the literature review by doing the following:
- Discuss two research evidence sources and two nonresearch evidence sources that you considered.
Note: Please do not use the same primary author for more than two articles. Articles must not be more than five years old.
C. Use your research articles to develop a PICO (patient/population, intervention/indicator, comparison/control, and outcome) question based on the topic.
D. Complete the attached “Evidence Matrix,” using the five research evidence sources from scholarly journal sources you located during the literature review in part B. For each article, address the following points:
Note: You may submit your completed matrix as a separate attachment to the task, or you may include the matrix within your paper, aligned to APA formatting standards.
Note: Upload a copy of the full text of the articles with your submission.
- author, journal name, and year of publication
- research design (e.g., quantitative, qualitative, mixed design, systematic review)
- sample size (e.g., numbers of study participants, number of articles, number of control group participants)
- outcome variables measured (e.g., identify what the research is measuring)
- quality (using the following scale: A, B, C)
- results/author’s conclusions (e.g., briefly summarize the outcome)
E. Recommend a practice change that addresses the PICO question, using the evidence collected in the attached “Evidence Matrix.” You must use all five research articles from the “Evidence Matrix” attachment to support this recommendation via in-text citations.
F. Describe a process for implementing the practice change from part E in which you do the following:
1. Explain how you would involve three key stakeholders in the decision to implement the recommendation from part E.
2. Describe two specific barriers you may encounter when implementing the practice change from part E in the nursing practice setting.
3. Identify two strategies that could be used to overcome the barriers described in part F2.
4. Identify one indicator to measure the outcome (the O in PICO question) of the recommended change practice from part E
G. Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.
H. Demonstrate professional communication in the content and presentation of your submission.