The governor of your home state has decided to launch a “Smart Communities” initiative. These communities will depend upon cyber-physical systems to provide new or enhanced services. You have been asked to prepare a presentation for a state-wide public meeting to discuss the potential impact of “smart technologies” and the underlying “cyber-physical systems” on critical infrastructures for utilities and transportation in your home state.
Research the use of “smart” (cyber-physical) systems and technologies to build the communities of the future (streets / transportation, community services & facilities).
Here are two URLs to help you get started with your research:
- NIST Cyber-Physical Systems Working Group–https://www.nist.gov/el/cyber-physical-systems/cps…
- Global Cities Team Challenge—https://www.nist.gov/el/cyber-physical-systems/sma…
Answer the following questions:
- What types of cyber-physical systems will be required to provide pervasive “awareness” and “reporting” capabilities in the community infrastructure?
- What types of cyber-physical systems will provide the greatest future benefits to the residents of such communities?
- What are the anticipated economic, social, and cultural impacts of technology enhanced smart cities?
- What are the anticipated vulnerabilities? For example, how could terrorists or criminal attack or compromise cyber-physical systems?
Format your presentation as a list of talking points using MS Word (not Power Point). Your document should be 2 – 3 pages in length. Include APA format citations and references as appropriate to the information used and the sources from which you obtained that information.