Students will create a Word Document using the principles of the social sciences to explore diverse cultural identities and to analyze political and environmental issues.
Specifically, students will explore the issue of “Lack of Minorities in Policing” and address each of the below questions using the Rubric (page 2) and this Word Document template that is provided.
This assignment is designed to be a simple exercise to introduce students to the basic ideas and principles of the social sciences in order to explore cultural diversity and then to analyze ideas (political, societal, environmental) that impact that issues. The issue I chose is “lack of minorities in policing”. This should be a quick and easy research project so don’t let it take you off track.
ON YOUR SUBMISSION, LIST EACH OF MY QUESTIONS, FOLLOWED BY YOUR RESPONSE.
You must choose a specific minority group You can choose any one of the following (women, Gay/Lesbian, African-American, Hispanic, Asian, Muslim, etc…).
You must use noted scholarly resources and expand your search in order to complete the project. Simply list the resources you use on a Reference Page at the end of the paper (you do not need to cite the references throughout the paper). EXAMPLE: Val Van Brocklin is a noted scholar on police issues. She wrote a good article on this topic of “Women in Policing” for Police One (an online source).
Examples of Scholarly Journals in the area of Criminal Justice
- Justice Quarterly
- Crime and Delinquency
- Journal of Criminal Justice
- American Journal of Criminal Justice British Journal of Criminology
- Journal of Criminology and Criminal Law
- Police Quarterly
- American Journal of Police
Part I: Objectives
Students will define the problem of “Lack of Minorities in Policing” and identify theoretical frameworks and approaches for interpreting, defining, analyzing, and evaluating this critical issue.
- Identify 2 key problems caused by the issue of “Lack of Minorities in Policing”
- Identify 2 causes of this issue (List and describe 2 reasons why we have so few minorities in the policing profession?)
- Identify 2 consequences of this issue (List and describe 2 ways that a lack of diversity impact the field of policing?)
Part II: Objective
Students will demonstrate an awareness of, and an appreciation for, the diversity of human experiences.
- Identify one type of diversity that is relevant to “Policing in America” (Choose one specific minority group and briefly explain why you chose that group)
- Explain the consequences of this lack of diversity (What are the specific consequences relating from a lack of police officers represented by thespecific minority group you chose)
- Describe how diversity does or does not lead to social inequality (Briefly explain how the lack of representation by the specific minority group you selected leads to, or does not lead to, social inequality)
Part III: Objective
Students will demonstrate an awareness of how social / behavioral processes and relationships take shape in, and vary across regional and geographical contexts
- Identify 2 key social/behavioral processes and relationships in the field of Policing (Based on American societal norms, provide some insight into basic social and behavioral idea as to “WHY” your chosen minority group chooses to avoid careers in Law Enforcement (The same question could be “why do so few men go into the field of nursing?”)
- Discuss 2 variations of the processes and relationships across regional/geographical contexts (e.g., North / South differences) (Once you answer the above question, then look at geographical differences for your chosen minority group. How is this behavior (“why so few minorities from your chosen group opt for careers in policing”) different in the American South, North, East, West? Are there any differences? Are minorities socialized differently in Boston than they are in Dallas, or San Francisco, or Columbia? )
- Discuss why processes and relationships vary across regional/geographical contexts
(Obviously, the answer to #2 above is YES, there are differences across regional/geographical areas; now address “why” these differences exist across regional/geographical areas for your chosen minority group)