Compare and Contrast The Bust of a Queen or Goddess (Egyptian-Ptolemaic) with The Gravestone of Alexandra, Priestess of Isis (Roman) (from the Beyond the Nile Exhibition in the Getty Center)
write a short essay comparing the two sculptures . This part of the paper needs to be a minimum of 500 words.
1. Start by briefly discussing the subject of each sculpture. Is it a portrait of an actual human being? A divine figure? Is it a scene of people—or divine beings—interacting? What are they doing? Is the subject religious? Historic?
2. Now look at the style. How is the surface finished? How does the artist use space? Is the figure realistic? Abstract? Idealistic? Or a combination?
3. Discuss the possible function of the artwork. What purpose did the artwork serve? Answering this question may require research.
What do you think the artist was trying to communicate? You certainly can talk about your own ideas about the art, but be careful NOT to project your ideas onto the artist.
4. Finally, compare the two artworks in terms of form, style, function, and cultural context. How are they similar? How do they differ?
5. Conclude with a paragraph that sums up your ideas.