Assignment 1: Communication Self-Assessment
Due Week 2 and worth 30 points
In this assignment, you will be assessing how well you communicate. You will first take a communication quiz; then, you will provide a short reflection based on your quiz results.
Part 1: Take the Communication Quiz
- Go to http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newCS_99.htm and take the communication quiz to measure your communication skills.
- Take a screenshot of your quiz results. Note: You will be submitting a screenshot of your quiz results along with your reflection.
Part 2: Review the feedback of your quiz results and create a reflection discussing your results. You will write a one to two (1-2) page paper in which you:
- Summarize the results of your communication quiz by keeping the following questions in mind:Provide a conclusion that discusses lessons learned after taking the communication quiz. Next describe three (3) characteristics of an effective communicator; then, suggest two (2) ways you can improve your own communicationUse correct sentence mechanics, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style.
- What kind of communicator did you believe you were prior to taking the quiz?
- After taking the communication quiz, what did the results tell you about how you really communicate?
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, student’s name, professor’s name, course, and date. (The cover page is not included in the required page count.)
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Demonstrate understanding of the basic fundamentals of communication.
- Develop and practice communication skills, including skills in verbal, nonverbal, listening, writing, interpersonal, perception, and critical thinking as appropriate for the audience.
- Analyze and assess effective communication.
- Use correct sentence mechanics, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in communications.
- Write clearly and concisely about communications using proper writing mechanics.