This week, you will choose a culture different from your own to study. You are an explorer on a quest to discover unique aspects of this other culture. You will be looking for what makes this group of people diverse and unique, including beliefs, values, experiences, traditions, strengths, and some of the barriers they face in regards to accessing human services. Most importantly, you will be seeking information on what you need to know as a human services case manager in order to provide culturally competent services to this unique culture. You should choose a culture or group that you are interested in learning more about. Once you have a specific culture in mind, complete the following steps:
- Research your topic in the Library using the following instructions:
- Select the link to the Library in this classroom. It is to the left side, under Academic Tools. You can also get to the library’s resources by visiting library.kaplan.edu.
- Accessing the library with either method, use the search box you see to enter keywords and phrases related to your topic, and then select the “Search” button to see a list of results in a new window.
- Suggested searches and tips: Type in “Human Services” and then the name of the culture you are researching. Example: “Human Services” and “Native Americans.” You should get dozens to hundreds of articles to choose from.
- Review the articles that come up to find an article on human service work with this culture that relates in some way to delivering culturally sensitive services. You will not see this title exactly, but you will see related titles. You may have to open a number of articles to find one that meets these requirements; do not give up. You will find one. If you get stuck, use the live-chat with a librarian service on the library homepage. The librarians are excellent and will help you find what you are looking for.
- Prepare and submit a 2- to 3-page (not including the title page and the reference page) APA style expository research essay that addresses the following areas. Use the statements below as level I headings in your essay, with the exception of your introduction. Introductions do not have headings in APA style papers.
- Introduction — Your first paragraph should be dedicated to introducing your topic and the purpose of this paper. APA style introductions include a clear thesis statement and should convey the main premise of your paper.
- General background and overview of this culture — Describe what you learned in your research about this group. Present the general demographics for this group such as approximate total population and any other statistics that might be appropriate and relevant. (You may have to do some extra research on the Internet to find general demographic information. Be sure to document your sources.) Talk about some of the beliefs, values, experiences, traditions, and strengths of this group, especially those that differ from your own. Also search for possible barriers this group may face related to achieving and maintaining healthy, quality lives where they are treated with respect and dignity.
- Providing culturally competent case management services — This section of your paper is the heart of this assignment and your opportunity to showcase your critical thinking skills.
- Based on what you learned about this culture, what are the most important things for case managers to know about this culture?
- Describe specific things case managers should and should not do in order to create a warm and welcoming and “culturally safe” environment for people from this culture or group who wish to utilize case management services.
- Imagine that you are interviewing a member of this culture or group. Create two effective strategies for how you will engage your client during the first interview and future sessions.
Note: Expository essays require the writer to establish a clear viewpoint and purpose for the topic being presented and to sustain and support this with clear and compelling critical thinking, supporting evidence (factual, statistical, or experiential), and appropriate references to relevant academic literature. You should include a minimum of three specific in-text cited references to the article you researched in this section of your paper. These can be direct quotes, paraphrased passages, or summarized ideas from the article that directly supports your main points in this section.
- Conclusion and personal reflection — In a paragraph, share what this Assignment has been like for you. Reflect on what you learned about the culture that you researched. How will this knowledge impact you both professionally and personally? Share the most surprising thing you learned about this culture and how it influences your future work as a case manager or other human service professional.
Your paper should include the following:
- Title page
- Main body of the paper (2–3 pages, including an introductory paragraph, supporting paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph)
- Reference page in APA format
- Correct APA formatting for in-text citations.
- Free of spelling and grammatical errors.
You should follow these formatting guidelines in your paper:
- Use standard margins: 1” on all sides
- Use standard Times New Roman 12-point font
- Use standard double spacing
- Be sure your text is left justified
Your Assignment should be written adhering to the guidelines of Standard American English and the formatting and documentation should adhere to the standards of the American Psychological Association (APA). This means that your thoughts should be well organized and original. Also included in Standard American English is the use of correct grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. Remember, writing is a process, so please keep in mind that you can receive assistance from the Writing Center at any time. They can provide answers to questions that you might have about your writing, they can brainstorm with you and provide APA assistance. You can also refer to the APA Quick Reference Guide for help with formatting your Assignment.
Submitting Your Assignment
Create your Assignment in Word. Save it in a location and with a name that you will remember. When you are ready, to submit it unit Dropbox. To view your graded work, come back to the Dropbox or go to the Gradebook after your instructor has evaluated it. Make sure that you save a copy of your submitted Assignment.