(5 pages long) write a detailed analytical paper on the song:
Your paper should include:
- some basic factual research on the song/artist
- a listening-based analysis of the song
- some critical analysis of the song which draws on the assigned texts for the class
Work outwards from the specifics of the song to discuss issues that you find compelling about the artist, producer, the performance, the lyrics, the beat (original or sampled) and the social context.
Your paper needs to include: • some basic factual research on the song/ar=st • a listening-based analysis of the song • some cri=cal analysis which draws on the assigned texts for the class (i.e. you need to cite at least two sources from the course reading list)
Work outwards from the specifics of the song to discuss issues that you find compelling about the ar=st, producer, the performance, the lyrics, the beat (original or sampled) and the social context. • This paper will be due midnight of December 3rd. It should be
How to write about what you’re hearing • What are the lyrics? • What do you think the song is about? • Do the lyrics explicitly communicate the subject of the song? • Discuss the rapper’s delivery: • general style • tone of voice, • rela@ve speed of delivery, • rhythmic complexity or otherwise, • rhyme scheme(s) • is the rapper(s) employing a specific flow?
How to write about what you’re hearing cont’d • What does the beat sound like? • is it built around a sample or samples? • if so, what is the source of the sample? what might be the significance there? • does the song include a played interpola<ons?
• How does the voice relate to the beat? • is it melodic at all? • on the beat, behind the beat, ahead of the beat? • in shi7ing pa:erns in rela;on to it? • You could make some kind of graphic representa;on of the song if that helps you understand it and present your analysis.
• Is this song representa/ve of the ar/st’s output? why? • Is the ar/st associated with a par/cular style or scene? • If so, how does that figure in this song? • what context do the lyrics address? • who is being spoken to? • where? • why?
• Is there a poli.cal message? if so what? • How does this song relate to songs with a similar viewpoint by other ar.sts? • What (if anything) else does it sound like? why? I’d expect some of your paper would be basic explana7ons of who the ar7st(s) is/are and what significance the song had to their career, though be careful to stay on topic, and don’t pad your paper with excess biographical info