It is necessary for an RN-BSN-prepared nurse to demonstrate an enhanced understanding of the pathophysiological processes of disease, the clinical manifestations and treatment protocols, and how they affect clients across the life span.
Evaluate the Health History and Medical Information for Mr. C., presented below.
Based on this information, formulate a conclusion based on your evaluation, and complete the Critical Thinking Essay assignment, as instructed below.
Health History and Medical Information
Mr. C., a 32-year-old single male, is seeking information at the outpatient center regarding possible bariatric surgery for his obesity. He currently works at a catalog telephone center. He reports that he has always been heavy, even as a small child, gaining approximately 100 pounds in the last 2-3 years. Previous medical evaluations have not indicated any metabolic diseases, but he says he has sleep apnea and high blood pressure, which he tries to control by restricting dietary sodium. Mr. C. reports increasing shortness of breath with activity, swollen ankles, and pruritus over the last 6 months.
- Height: 68 inches; weight 134.5 kg
- BP: 172/98, HR 88, RR 26
- 3+ pitting edema bilateral feet and ankles
- Fasting blood glucose: 146 mg/dL
- Total cholesterol: 250 mg/dL
- Triglycerides: 312 mg/dL
- HDL: 30 mg/dL
- Serum creatinine 1.8 mg/dL
- BUN 32 mg/dl
Critical Thinking Essay
In 750-1,000 words, critically evaluate Mr. C.’s potential diagnosis and intervention(s). Include the following:
- Describe the subjective and objective clinical manifestations present in Mr. C.
- Describe the potential health risks for obesity that are of concern for Mr. C. Explain whether bariatric surgery is an appropriate intervention.
- Assess each of Mr. C.’s functional health patterns using the information given. Discuss at least five actual or potential problems you can identify from the functional health patterns and provide the rationale for each. (Functional health patterns include health-perception, health-management, nutritional, metabolic, elimination, activity-exercise, sleep-rest, cognitive-perceptual, self-perception/self-concept, role-relationship, sexuality/reproductive, coping-stress tolerance.)
- Explain the stages of renal disease that leads to end-stage renal disease (ESRD). What factors contributed to Mr. C’s ESRD?
- Consider ESRD prevention and health promotion opportunities. Describe what type of patient education for ESRD should be provided to Mr. C. for prevention of future events, health restoration, and avoidance of deterioration of renal status.
- Explain the type of resources available for ESRD patients for nonacute care and the type of multidisciplinary approach that would be beneficial for these patients. Include aspects such as devices, transportation, living conditions, return-to-employment issues.
You are required to cite a minimum of three sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and relevant to nursing practice.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.